Your computer is running slow? Let’s find out the reasons and what you can do to fix it.
The how to fix a slow computer windows 10 is a problem that has been present for a while. There are many reasons why your computer might be running slowly and these easy solutions will help you solve the issue.
Okay, so you’ve lately noticed that your computer is very sluggish and unresponsive, and you’re probably wondering why. The sluggish performance of your computer may be caused by a variety of factors. To improve the performance of your computer, you must first determine the cause of the slowness and then seek a remedy. For the convenience of our customers, we’ve mapped out some of the most frequent causes of sluggish computers, along with their simple remedies.
Pro Tip: Make sure your PC has the most recent Windows updates loaded, as well as all installed device drivers.
Check Programs in the Background
The applications operating in the background are the most frequent cause of a sluggish computer. There are certain applications that start automatically when you turn on your computer. This issue may be simply resolved by uninstalling the background applications. You’ll need to launch Task Manager to see which applications are running in the background and how much RAM they’re using.
To launch task manager, use Shift + Ctrl + Esc on your keyboard.
On Windows 10, you may turn off background applications.
- To open settings, press Windows key + I.
- Go to Privacy, then Apps in the background.
- Make sure that Allow applications to run in the background is switched off under Background Apps.
Additionally, if you have an antivirus software installed on your computer, make sure it is operating in the background and checking your activity. Your computer’s performance will be slowed if your antivirus is scanning your system. So, let the antivirus program scan your computer, and after it’s finished, you’ll see that your computer’s speed has automatically increased.
Delete Temporary Files
Temporary files are stored on the hard disk when a computer executes a software. You may progressively enhance the efficiency of your computer by removing these temporary files. You may do this by running disk cleaning or the third-party program Ccleaner on your computer, which will automatically remove all of your computer’s temporary files that are no longer needed.
In Windows 10, you may delete temporary files.
- To open settings, press Windows key + I.
- Go to the system, then the storage page.
- Just underneath the Windows 10 disk name and letter, choose the Temporary files option.
- Windows upgrade log files, Thumbnails, Microsoft Windows Defender Antivirus, Temporary Internet Files, Windows problem reports and feedback diagnostics, and DirectX Shader Cache are all checked here.
- Finally, click the Remove option to remove the temporary files you’ve chosen.
Cleaning software, on the other hand, may simply delete specific transient files from your computer. You must manually delete all of the files in order to eliminate them. You may do this by opening the Start Menu and searching for percent temp percent in the search box. The temp folder will appear on your screen as a result of this action. You may either remove all of the files in the folder or choose files after going through them one by one.
Make some room on your computer’s hard drive.
Another frequent cause of poor computer performance is a full hard disk. If you want to improve your computer’s performance, make sure it has at least 2GB of free space. This frees up space for swap files and temporary files to operate.
How to Free Up Hard Drive Space in Windows 10
1. Remove any applications or programs that you don’t need.
- Select applications and features by pressing Windows key + X.
- To discover which applications are taking up the most space, sort by size.
- Remove any programs you don’t use by choosing them and clicking “Uninstall.”
2. Make sure your desktop is clean.
- If you don’t need a file, consider removing it.
- Transfer files and folders to a separate disk or an external device.
- When you delete them and empty the recycle bin, you will free up some space on your hard disk.
3. Use the Disk Cleanup Tool to clean up your hard drive.
- By asking Cortana or choosing it from your search box, you can start the Disk Cleanup.
- To finish the job, choose “Drive: C,” which will take several minutes – or longer if this is your first time.
Look for a faulty hard drive.
If your hard drive is damaged, corrupted, or fragmented, it won’t be able to function as it should, and your computer’s performance will suffer as a result. You may use the following techniques to diagnose a faulty hard drive:
Check for Physical Harm — You may take your hard disk out of your computer to see whether it has suffered any physical damage.
Run Defrag – Defragmentation software may be used to verify that data is properly organized on your hard disk.
Use Third-Party Programs — You may use third-party tools to check for faults on the hard disk.
Run the disk check tool.
CHKDSK, a built-in Windows command tool, may help you recover data from damaged sectors and prevent them from being used in the future.
- As an administrator, open the command prompt.
- To restore data and correct problems, use the following command: chkdsk /F /r chkdsk c: (for your C: drive).
- When prompted, choose Y, and CHKDSK will execute when you restart your computer.
Viruses should be scanned.
If your computer is infected with viruses, the performance of your computer will be affected, making it slower. Furthermore, if you do not have an antivirus program installed on your computer, you will most likely be subjected to additional malware assaults. You may install antivirus software on your device to identify viruses, or you can utilize various online scanning services to check the status of viruses on your computer. After you’ve removed the viruses from your computer, you should install high-quality antivirus software to guarantee your machine’s safety.
Scan for Malware
Spyware and other malware have become a major issue in recent years, infecting computers in a variety of ways. Virus assaults are much less harmful and difficult to trace than malware attacks. If your computer has an antivirus scanner, we suggest that you perform a malware scan as well. Today, you may download a variety of malware scanners from the internet to safeguard your computer from malware assaults and enhance its performance.
Repair Windows System Files that Have Been Corrupted
Windows 10 stops or applications fail to launch with various problems if you get a blue screen error or a black screen at startup. There’s a possibility that damaged or missing system files are to blame for the problem, which will have an effect on system performance. When this happens, the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) and System File Checker (SFC) may be used to search for and restore damaged or missing system files.
- As an administrator, open the command prompt.
- Run the command dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and wait for the scanning procedure to finish 100 percent.
- Then type sfc /scannow and press the enter key.
- Exit the command prompt and restart your computer once the scanning procedure is finished.
Fixing Hardware Issues
If you have a problem with your Device Manager, it may impact the performance of your computer. As a result, you must verify that your Device Manager is in good working order. If it has any problems, you must repair them right away to improve the speed of your device.
You’ll need a third-party program like CrystalDiskInfo to manually verify your drive’s S.M.A.R.T. status. Select the disk to scan and make a note of its health condition under Disk.
In addition, here’s a pro tip: Your computer’s performance will be significantly improved by replacing your old HDD with a solid-state drive (SSD).
Now, anytime you wonder why my computer is sluggish, you may attempt to figure out what’s causing it and immediately repair it. It is essential to have a high-performing computer system in order to do all of your tasks efficiently. So, to improve your computer’s performance, keep these seven popular concepts in mind.
Also check out:
this advertisement should be reported
The computer running slow windows 7 is a common problem that many people have. There are a few reasons why this happens, and there are easy solutions to fix the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you fix a computer that is running very slow?
If your computer is running slow, it could be due to many different reasons. For example, you could have too much dust on the inside of your computer or a virus. You can clean out the dust by blowing into an empty can with a straw and then opening up your computer case and sucking all of the dust in through the power supply.
What is the main reason for a slow computer?
A slow computer is often caused by a lack of RAM, as well as a low-quality video card.
Why is my computer suddenly running so slow?
This is a common issue that people have been having with their computers. There are many reasons for this, but the most common reason is that your computer is running out of RAM. You can try to free up some memory by closing down other programs and/or deleting files from your hard drive.
- why is my computer so slow windows 10
- why is my pc so slow all of a sudden
- why is my laptop so slow all of a sudden
- laptop running slow and hanging
- computer slow and freezing